RE: Kallitype over Cyanotype?

From: Joachim (joachim@microdsi.net)
Date: 10/15/01-11:50:00 AM Z

It is timely for me to repeat my post of several years ago on this subject:
I played with the combination as I found a fascinating interaction between
the two at their interface. As the Van Dyke "digested" the Cyanotype, the
interface where the two blended was just plain magical. However, it must be
recognized, as it was almost 100 years ago, that the chemical reaction is
universal, predictable, and not reversible. I found that extremely feeble
concentrations of cyanotype worked best so that the rate of reaction was
manageably slowed. I also found that reapplication and repeat printing over
the same image was successful in slowing the degradation markedly but that
approach nearly always doomed the project to mechanical failure. (It would
be pointless to dig out my old records as your experimentation will have to
differ). I next photographed (conventional film) the resultant image as a
way to save a fugitive reaction, generated a digital file, and output the
resulant picture on watercolor paper. The result was quite acceptable, but
it was tedious, costly, and obviously one generation removed from what we
would have wished. I also used a combination of cyanotype with palladium
where that oxidative reaction with silver chloride does not occur. The
results have been quite decent, but without the same magic. If you, or
anyone, finds a way to stabilize the reaction I would love to know it.
Perhaps if I were a better chemist, or alchemist, but that subject is on my
long list of inadequacies. Joachim