Re: Digital neg media - a moving target

From: Jalo Porkkala (jalo.porkkala@luukku.com)
Date: 10/15/01-12:53:48 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: Nick Makris <nick@mcn.org>
To: Alt Photo <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2001 3:36 AM
Subject: Digital neg media - a moving target

> I have yet to test Pictorico OHP film (if someone has a roll of it I'll be
> glad to test it similarly and pay for the cost per sqft plus shipping).
> However, I did make wonderful, clear, sharp, good blacks, clear highlights
> and separated midtones with a film I have spoken of previously, Epson
> Backlight Film. I know this doesn't come in sizes large enough for some of
> you - A3 (11.7"X16.5"), but for the moment, it works for me. I would like
> to test the Pictorico though.

Hi all,

Epson Backlight Film comes also in A2 (42 x 59,4 cm), actually it's hard to find smaller sizes here in Finland.

Yes, it seems to be good stuff, but it's quite opaque so the "base plus fog" is quite high. Needs more exposure which can be painful sometimes :(

We have printed negatives on it with students for some time now, using an old Epson 3000 printer. Backlight Film accepts printing with all 4 colors without pooling, so we're getting nice tones and good Dmax. We've done only cyano, gum and polymer gravure so far, but the maximum blacks should be enough also for processes that need higher contrast negatives.

Greetings
Jalo

p.s. and may I introduce myself again through my web site; I have been mostly lurking here since ... must be 1994 ... or something ...)

http://www2.spt.fi/~porkkala
or maybe a little faster for American viewers:
http://porkkala.freeservers.com