Gum and contrast (was: UV printing systems)

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 10/16/01-10:35:43 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

> This statement is ... incomplete.... as are many of Livick's
> pronunciamentos. The "contrast" in gum printing isn't a factor of one
> variable, but combo of exposure, mix, neg, paper, development, etc. The
> easiest way to up contrast is just put in more pigment.

I agree with Judy about contrast in gum. I can't speak empirically to
the question of BL tubes, since I've never used them, but I've seen gum
prints others have made with them that weren't flat and lacking in
contrast, so I'm inclined to think that if flatness has been observed in
occasional one-shot tests, it's more likely due to variables
other than the light source per se. I rather suspect that
just by adjusting pigment concentration, dichromate concentration, and
exposure, any degree of contrast desired can be attained, whatever the
light source.

Katharine Thayer