Brushes for Gum

From: Nash Computer Technology (nashcom@btinternet.com)
Date: 10/17/01-03:13:00 AM Z

Hi

I've almost accumulated all the chemicals and materials I need for having a
bash at gum printing. I popped into my local art shop to purchase a couple
of brushes (one for coating the gelatin, and one for coating the
gum/pigment), and was bewildered by the choice. Livick suggests a hog hair
brush for coating the gelatin, and I saw what appeared to be a good quality
one about 1.5 - 2" wide with around a 12" handle. The lady in the shop
thought it might be too expensive, and suggested a hake brush, but I think
that I've heard they cast hairs unless you glue the base of the hairs to the
handle, plus they are a different 'texture' from the hog hair.

With regard to the emulsion, is something like a top quality water colour
sable brush the most suitable, and what sort of shape/dimensions?

I'll be coating 5x4" and 10x8" prints initially.

As ever, thanks in advance.

David Nash