Re: Brushes for Gum

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 10/17/01-04:29:04 AM Z

At 10:13 17.10.01 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>I've almost accumulated all the chemicals and materials I need for having a
>bash at gum printing. I popped into my local art shop to purchase a couple
>of brushes (one for coating the gelatin, and one for coating the
>gum/pigment), and was bewildered by the choice. Livick suggests a hog hair
>brush for coating the gelatin, and I saw what appeared to be a good quality
>one about 1.5 - 2" wide with around a 12" handle. The lady in the shop
>thought it might be too expensive, and suggested a hake brush, but I think
>that I've heard they cast hairs unless you glue the base of the hairs to the
>handle, plus they are a different 'texture' from the hog hair.
>
>With regard to the emulsion, is something like a top quality water colour
>sable brush the most suitable, and what sort of shape/dimensions?
>
>I'll be coating 5x4" and 10x8" prints initially.
>
>As ever, thanks in advance.
>
>David Nash

Why not using a foam brush for the gelatine? They are cheap and easy to
handle. No worries about sheding hair; the gelatine should just be fluid
enough when applied to spread itself.

As for the emulsion: I think a hake brush (glued!) will serve you here in
fact much better than any top quality water colour brush, but you may want
more than one, becaue according to my experience, it is crucial the brush
does not get whet during the coating. For this reason, I personally prefer
to spred the emulsion as evenly as possible *before* using a brush: first
foam brush, then foam roller, then brush. This minimizes also the loss of
hair. I need a thin water colour brush to pick up the odd one or two hairs
from the spread emulsion, and if this brush is dry, I am able to even out
the emulsion just at the place from where I picked up the hair.

Lukas