Re: graduate schools in photography; artists in academia

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 10/17/01-06:39:21 AM Z

DEAR SHANNON,
    I had to face a similar question when offered a full time teaching
position at the College where I taught. I felt that my experiences as a
working photographer, constantly
striving to grow artistically, would help me be a better teacher and NOT
the converse.
Most of the artists (in what ever medium) who teach full time have stopped
producing their personal work. IMHO part time teaching and full time
photographic artist is the way to go...but then I have owned my own business
since I was 25 years old and enjoy the independence which others refer to as
lack of security.
    It is very much a matter of assessing your own propensities and seeing
which would be a better fit; the security of a full time teacher striving
to manage time to do your own work or full time artist with a part time
teaching life net. Please don't get me wrong. I LOVE TO TEACH
PHOTOGRAPHY...I also love my work as a photographer and this particular
balance fits me well.
            CHEERS!
                BOB KISS