graduate schools in photography; artists in academia

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 10/17/01-06:25:55 AM Z

I am thinking of applying to an MFA program in photography this
winter, and I wonder if anybody on this list has any suggestions
about where to apply. I am going to apply to some schools in Texas,
but I am open to suggestions about other places, particularly schools
where people are doing some alt-process work. At present at U of H I
am the only one doing this; the emphasis in our program is on big
color prints.

I am also wondering about what I want to do long-term. It seems that
some of the teachers in our dept at U of H are not flourishing as
artists in academia. We never see any of their work, and I think
maybe some of them have not produced much since their MFA show. They
seem stuck in whatever art school ideology was prevalent when they
were graduate students and haven't moved much beyond that. They
don't seem to read much about contemporary art. They also seem
sometimes threatened by their own students' creativity and a bit
envious of it. If this is what happens to you when you get a job
teaching at the college level, I don't want it! But surely it's not
necessary to become a fossil. I know some people on this list teach
art, and I wonder what your experience is about this.

--shannon