Re: dogma in academia

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 10/19/01-06:20:56 AM Z

>Judy wrote:

>I loved grad school, but I used to say it was like a Victorian lecture on
>marriage, a lot of talk about the beauties of conjugal love, but if you
>asked about HOW IT WAS DONE (film, development, etc.) you were quickly
>shushed.

hahaha!

Seriously, why do you think this is? Maybe the profs have never
actually "done it"?

   Yesterday we were looking at some very nice 35mm pictures of the
interior of an old house. The photographer was encouraged to take
one of the school's view cameras back to the site and re-photograph
it in large format, which I agreed wholeheartedly with. But then I
said I thought maybe she should meter some of the shadow areas that
had no texture and I was immediately shushed. But, just making the
photos large format won't help if she doesn't get the exposures
right. It was a tricky situation, as are many interiors, because
there was a great deal of light coming in the windows (no texture
there) and the shadows were underexposed. She needed to know how to
change the curve of her film by changing the film speed and
development times, but they absolutely refuse to discuss such things
in my program! So students end up whispering questions about it to
me in the hallways.

I don't understand this. Is this an over-reaction to the days of
Ansel Adams, Minor White, etc?

--shannon