dogs getting run over in texas

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 10/19/01-12:02:08 PM Z

Bill, your description of the academic art scene as inbred and
insular strikes me as exactly on the mark, although I am sort of an
outsider observer of it really and am only beginning to understand
it. But I also look at photography outside of the academic scene,
and I find that what is considered "good" in the wide world is often
very different from what academic types like. One difference for
example is that the prints that are shown and sold in galleries are
very well crafted, and are often very pleasurable to look at,
beautiful as well as thought-provoking, but frequently "merely"
beautiful; whereas academic work around here is almost always some
sort of critique of the media or pop culture that doesnt' go much
beyond appropriating imagery from pop culture, and it is often not
very well crafted.

Being in Austin, do you know anything about the MFA program at the
University of Texas there?

--shannon