Re: cyanotype + chine colle

From: yudit (yudit@melig.co.il)
Date: 10/23/01-09:33:47 AM Z

As you are not indicating which kind of Japanese paper you have in mind,
i am not certain my experience is valid for you.

I have printed cyanotypes on various kinds of Japanese handmade papers,
names unavailable (overhere i'm happy to put my hands in any kind of
"special" paper, "no questions asked") so i'll try to describe them:

type 1: relatively thin, even structured paper with dense fine fibers,
no big "leafy" bits anywhere
type 2: like type1, but thicker, less "see through" when held up in the
light
type 3: Thin uneven paper with rather big fiber pieces
type 4: thicker, even paper with rather large pieces of fiber

I suggest testing them first of all to see if they can withstand the
long rinces, some of them tend to disintegrate. To my experience this
happens to batches.

Type 1 & 2 are relatively simple to work with, the fiber pieces do not
absorb as much as the paper, but sometimes some emulsion gets "stuck" on
the sides of the thicker fiber pieces, depending on the direction of
your emulsion strokes.
This ofcourse gives a special effect, which one has to appreciate.

Type 3 & 4 were more difficult to work with and type 4 started to
disintegrate, sometimes, around the biggest fibre pieces.

If you want to stronlgy control your image, i think it will be hard.
If you like a certain level of "luck" and "letting things happen", it's
a great process.

I made the prints about 4 years ago and they still look fine.

Good luck
yudit