Re: cyanotype + chine colle

From: Eric S. Theise (mataro@cyberwerks.com)
Date: 10/23/01-10:08:04 AM Z

Thanks for the answers and feedback.

bi3@georgetown.edu writes:
> I often print cyanotypes using rice paper (if this is what is meant by
> Japanese paper). What I have used gives a rich blue.
>
> I mat and frame the print on just the thin rice paper. I've never tried
> using chine colle. It's an interesting idea. Let us know your results.

I'm coming to cyanotypes from photogravure, and in my photogravures I
print my images with quite a lot of margin, especially at the bottom,
partly so that they read as prints, and not as what people normally
think of as 'photographs'. I'd like to have a similar format with the
cyanotypes, and my printmaker brain led me to chine colle as a possible
solution.

So I would try printing on kozu or mitzumata paper and then affixing
the trimmed print to somerset satin, which is what I use for the
photogravures.

--Eric