BLs and BLBs: The Unexpected Result!

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 10/28/01-09:22:14 PM Z

Today I borrowed some new Phillips BL tubes from Sam Wang and tested
these tubes against my old bank of Sylvania 350BL tubes and the new
GE BLB tubes used in previous experiments with Van Dyke, Cyanotype
and gum. These tests resolved some of the questions raised by the
first tests. In the current set of tests it is clear from initial
observation that the Phillips BL tubes provide much more speed than
the older Sylvania 350BLs, on the order of about 1.5 stops with all
of these processes.

However, these tests did not entirely erase the first unexpected
results because the performance from the Phillips BL tube and the GE
BLBs was virtually identical both in terms of the speed point and in
the number of total steps. There was, simply put, no discernible
difference between the two. I will test again to verify the results,
but assuming consistency in the results I would predict identical
performance from these specific makes of BL and BLB bulbs. In my own
case I plan to replace my Sylvania 350BLs with a new set of the GE
BLBs, if for no other reason simply because I can pick the BLBs up at
the local Lowes.

That is about the end of what I have to say on this subject for the
time being. I have completed most of the tests I planned to run and
hope to be able to wrap up the article within the next 10-14 days.

Sandy King