Re: Speed point of photosensitive materials

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 10/31/01-08:10:55 AM Z

Jeffrey Mathis wrote:

>A problem with selecting only the 90% black (or some other less than
>100% black) is that there is no assurance that the negative will be
>capable of producing a 100% black. For example: if the 90% black is not
>in the proper location on the D-logE curve (such as the horizontal
>portion of the toe), a 100% black may not be achievable without
>darkening the entire print or increasing the contrast. It should be no
>surprise that the most difficult prints are those of long dynamic range,
>low contrast, and full tonal range (like those printed well with the
>Pt/Pd process). This requires careful control of both film and print.
>
>Again, this 100% black is what I have called the maximum black, not the
>maximum density or D-max. Maximum black is selected by the photographer
>based on their materials, process, and preferences. It may not always
>be a certain percentage of the D-max.

I agree with your most of your comments but find it a very confusing
that you to call something 100% black, or maximum black, but then
oppose that to maximum density or D-max. This is a self-contradiction
in the use of language. You could just call it IDmax and stipulate
that you are locating that point in ways different than the
convention of 90% black.

Sandy King