Photoshop as a new medium?

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 10/31/01-07:12:37 AM Z

Judy,

It is possible that I oversimplified Elkins's argument, or maybe he
did. But I think that new media--and other examples he gave were
things like video installation, neon sculpture, and the like--do tend
to look to older media for starting points. Photoshop can be thought
of as "merely" a tool to make photographs that are simply better than
the photographs you could make without it. But in our program we are
supposed to think of it as a whole new medium. That is, if you just
used it to touch up your photos, that wouldn't be enough.

What I ended up doing to solve the problem of figuring out "what it's
for" is copying the look of early 20th century German Dada collage.
But then I pushed the image a little past that by making some of the
transitions a little smoother than you can in cut-and-paste collage.
The result was very strange, by general consensus, and still
interesting to me. To me Photoshop has always seemed like the
ultimate surrealist's toy.

But I also like thinking of PHotoshop as the ultimate montage tool.
Instead of using multiple enlargers, elaborate masking, or a
negative sandwich, you just put things on top of and next to each
other in Photoshop. Rejlander would have loved it! In that sense,
maybe it is just another tool, rather than a whole new medium. But
the montage thing with Photoshop can be pushed past its previous
limitations with more ease, and maybe that is when it begins to
becomes another medium.

--shannon