RE: Photoshop as a new medium?

From: Baird, Darryl (dbaird@umflint.edu)
Date: 10/31/01-08:43:39 AM Z

How I see (and use) Photoshop's "tools" will depend on my ultimate
objective -- the final medium.

What I really like about digital is its ability to move imagery from
one medium to another with fairly minor tweaking. As an example, I may
reproduce one of my images as a giclee (inljet) print, then as a
kallitype via an enlarged negative (process of choice...imagesetter,
inkjet, or light valve), then produce a positive for photo-polymer
intaglio (aka gravure) for a book, and finally as a slide for
presentations and as an archive. I'll burn a CD with the original
image, a flattened tiff file for modification as the above
"negatives/positives," a jpeg image for transport to others (via WWW
or email). If I'm really smart, I'll include the necessary Photoshop
curves to meet those "ends."

Right now I'm using Photoshop as a photographic tool. Most of what I
do looks like a photograph, at least it's origins are clearly
photographic -- made with a lens. (BTW, I consider a scanner a
camera.) In the future I may find another art form (medium?) in the
digital realm, something more true to the nature of binary
(mathematical) data as a process, but for now I make "photography" my
home. Maybe, Shannon, there is some truth (small "t"), to what this
author is stumbling over. In some ways, I think the early computer
artists, with their ascii art, is truer to this digital form.

Oh hell, I just don't know. There I feel better.

-Darryl