Re: Kodak Drops Pro Copy Film

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/04/01-12:45:54 AM Z

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Don Nelson wrote:
> No company, including Kodak, has a responsibility to continue ANY
> product if they can make a higher rate of return for their
> shareholders by providing some other more competitive product.

Etc...

It has been my understanding that Kodak has discontinued films not
necessarily because they were less in demand, or not profitable, but in
order to "encourage" the move to digital -- their major profit being from
sales of digital equipment. That of course was last year, and since then
things have shifted, but still, the big ticket items are digital.

My own experience may not be all that atypical. In 1984 or so I bought a
2nd hand D2V enlarger for $300 & will never buy another enlarger in my
lifetime. But every year for the last 15 I have, reluctantly but
unavoidably, spent an average of $1000 on computer equipment of one sort
or another & end not in sight.

But my experience aside, I would NEVER believe a corporation's explanation
about ANYTHING.... (That's why we have industrial spies and whistle
blowers, isn't it?) In any event, it was the ongoing offing of analog
photo materials, apparent over the last dozen years or so, that inspired
the name, "Post-Factory Photography."

cheers,

Judy