Re: Editorial broadcast from Toronto/selen toner with salted paper

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 09/14/01-04:35:33 AM Z

A word of consolation from me also: do not get into "runaway" arguments
which only lead to polarisation (I hope you know what I mean: a situation
where always the next answer leads to ever more excitement).

May I remind you that such a polarisation - albeit a much more horrible one
- is what must have been the aim of the terrorists: to create a situation
in which anger consumes every other feeling, and in the last resort leads
to the utter disregard for human lives. Do not let this happen. I am
foremostly stunned by the sheer number of dead people, by all those
truncated lives, those fates. We heard here in Germany the voice of a woman
who spoke the last goodbye to her husband over phone from the WTC on the
recorder at her home.

I feel it is this human quality of the whole tragedy we must not loose
sight of.

And here a question just for getting going again, to re-establish
communication: I have toned a further salt print in selenium toner,
dilution 1:200. Colour changed nearly instantly, bleach was much less, can
be dealt with, so it was a success, sort of. But the result, though an
interesting brown colour unobtainable with gold, was clearly inferior to
it: no good blacks! The darkest tones, even on the rim outside the image
area, are of a brown which could do very well with some deepening.

Is this consistent with the observations of others concerning selenium
toning saltprints? Is there a way to get around this?

Lukas