selenium toner with salted paper

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 09/14/01-08:23:10 AM Z

Lukas wrote:

>And here a question just for getting going again, to re-establish
>communication: I have toned a further salt print in selenium toner,
>dilution 1:200. Colour changed nearly instantly, bleach was much less, can
>be dealt with, so it was a success, sort of. But the result, though an
>interesting brown colour unobtainable with gold, was clearly inferior to
>it: no good blacks! The darkest tones, even on the rim outside the image
>area, are of a brown which could do very well with some deepening.
>
>Is this consistent with the observations of others concerning selenium
>toning saltprints? Is there a way to get around this?

Lukas,

In my opinion the best way to get around the problem you are having
with salted paper and selenium toners is to switch toners. Gold and
platinum work much better and can be used in very dilute solutions
that makes their use feasible from an economic point of view.

I have had good success with the following gold and platinum toner:

        water 900ml
        citric acid 5g
        Potassium Chloroplatinite (#3 solution) 5ml
        (or Gold Chloride 1%) 5ml
        Water to 1000ml

In my work a liter of toner has the capacity of about (10) 12X20
prints, that is, about 0.5 ml of either the gold or platinum solution
are needed for each print). However, the mixed solution does go bad,
so if you are working with smaller prints I would recommend mixing
the toner in smaller batches of 100-200 ml. For greatest consistency
I mix the toner 200 ml at a time and use this for toning two 12X20
prints, then I discard.

BTW, the above toners work nicely not only with salted paper but also
with kallitype (including Van Dycke), and POP.

You can also split tone with these formulas, but if so make sure to
tone first with gold, wash, then follow with platinum. Tone before
fixing.

Sandy King