Re: (OT) the view from 1.6 miles

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 09/17/01-06:47:07 PM Z

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, <xxxxx xxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Dave, very well put. I was beginning to think I was the only one who
> took offense at her most arrogant, vitriolic, and insensitive message. It's
> amazing that 5,000 innocent civilians can be murdered and the country in
> which she lives is thrown into turmoil, but all she can think to talk about
> is how bad the World Trade Center was, how bad the police are, how bad the
> United States government is, how bad George Bush is, etc. etc.

I will keep this brief and I will try to keep politics out. To say
that I find the 2 posts attacking Judy offensive would be polite. The
writers of those posts chose to attack Judy rather than discuss,
directly, any issues she might have raised. To my way of thinking
their choosing to use personal attacks to try to make their points
discredits ANYTHING they might have to say. Having visited with Judy
just a few hours before she made her post I can tell you that she is
taking all of this very very hard - as are most in our nation - and
especially those of us who live here (I used to be able to see WTC
from where I live). FWIW I think she expresses the sentiments of at
least a million or so New Yorkers in her post :*)

>From the b-side of the Brooklyn Bridge
  -greg schmitz <gws1@columbia.edu>

----------
"To the end of his life, Mr. Burroughs remained pessimistic about the
future for humankind. In "Ghost of a Chance," he lamented the
destruction of the rain forests and their creatures and wrote: "All
going, to make way for more and more devalued human stock, with less
and less of the wild spark, the priceless ingredient - energy into
matter. A vast mudslide of soulless sludge."

                                "William S. Burroughs, the Beat Writer Who
                                 Distilled His Raw Nightmare Life, Dies at 83"
                                - from obit by Richard Severo. NY Times,
                                  97 August 4