Re: Gold Toning VDB prints

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 09/17/01-08:16:57 PM Z

At 11:41 AM 09/17/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> You will find a quite an interesting discussion of toning, and several
>gold toner formulas that could be used to tone VDB prints, in James
>Reilly's The Albumen and Salted Paper Book. This book, which was published
>in the 1980s, is no longer in print but is available on-line at
>http://albumen.stanford.edu/library/monographs/reilly/toc.html
> The color change I have observed by gold-toning VDB prints is a
>purple/brown, away from the chocolate brown seen in untoned prints. You can
>also tone VBD prints with platinum, which results in a shift more toward
>neutral black, with a hint of brown remaining.
> For maximum color change VDB prints need to be toned before fixing. I
>doubt very much you will see any color change in prints toned 9-12 months
>later but it will do no harm to experiment so try it and let us know the
>answer.
> Sandy King

  I must say the Stanford University site has a lot of interesting
photographic stuff on it, but I don't know of a centeral directory. Perhaps
someone does and I have just not found it.
  Another site there is http://palimpsest.stanford.edu the Concervation On
Line site. I think there may also be a wet plate or Daguerreotype site.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com