Re: Gold Toning VDB prints

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 09/17/01-09:41:58 AM Z

You will find a quite an interesting discussion of toning, and
several gold toner formulas that could be used to tone VDB prints, in
James Reilly's The Albumen and Salted Paper Book. This book, which
was published in the 1980s, is no longer in print but is available
on-line at
http://albumen.stanford.edu/library/monographs/reilly/toc.html

The color change I have observed by gold-toning VDB prints is a
purple/brown, away from the chocolate brown seen in untoned prints.
You can also tone VBD prints with platinum, which results in a shift
more toward neutral black, with a hint of brown remaining.

For maximum color change VDB prints need to be toned before fixing. I
doubt very much you will see any color change in prints toned 9-12
months later but it will do no harm to experiment so try it and let
us know the answer.

Sandy King