Re: Unsharp masking with litho film?

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@home.com)
Date: 09/24/01-02:59:15 PM Z

Dave is correct on this.
Also, you might contact your Ilford rep for they have an excellent and
thorough booklet on the creation of masks.

Simply put, if you place a sheet of translucent (not transparent) Mylar
between your slide and the T-Max 100 film . . . FOR 35 MM . . . you will
obtain the needed soft and out-of-focus quality needed for the small
negative. W/6x7 and larger, you may not need the Mylar separation.

Exposure
If you have already made a good print but it's full of contrast and you
realize you need the mask, stop down 3 stops and use the same filter pack
and exposure.

Develop
Using HC-110 @ dilution F develop for 3-4 minutes and fix as normal.

Mounting
Place the out-of-focus, low contrast negative ABOVE your slide and align
carefully. It is handy to retain a little bit of your sprocket holes so you
can line up the mask w/your slide with greater ease. Affix to the slide
w/slide mounting tape.

masks can become much more complicated than this but using this combo and
method provides very good results and will sufficiently reduce contrast
particularly for Ilfochrome printing.

Jack Fulton