Re: cheap contact printing frame

From: Sam Wang (stwang@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 09/26/01-07:35:03 AM Z

At 11:15 AM +0200 9/26/01, Andre Fuhrmann wrote:
>The issue of contact frames pops up regularly and creates quite a bit
>of lively discussion. But the simple fact is that building a sturdy
>contact frame is the single most simple matter in the field of ALT
>processes. (Up to a point: matters get a bit more complex when light
>bulbs are to be included and when we move to print size XXL.)
>
>Here is a pointer to a construction that has served my needs
>perfectly over many years:
>
>http://www.uni-konstanz.de/FuF/Philo/Philosophie/Fuhrmann/themen/RahmenPlan.jpg

That's great, Andre.

As your design shows, there's really no reason to try to find spring
materials to duplicate old designs. The key is to put pressure in the
center of the backing plate(s). I've been able to do that by putting
some cardboard shims in the center, under the foam. If one has any
woodworking tools at all, it shouldn't cost more than a few dollars
to make a good frame - total cost for my 18x26" frame was under $30,
which included wood, glue, hardware, foam, and a piece of double
strength glass.

Sam Wang