Re: UV light and Contact Frame

From: Richard Sullivan FRPS (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 09/27/01-09:28:56 AM Z

Plastic safety glasses unless they state they are UV filtering do not
filter UV.

Back in the mid 60's I worked at Spectrolab as a technician and we made
solar simulators using banks of 2500 watt Osram Xenon arc lamps. It was at
that time that standard eyeglasses went from glass to plastic. We had a few
serious eye burns before the problem was detected. I got burned quite a few
times in those pre-OSHA days and spent more than one sleepless night with
burnt eyes and tears running down my cheeks. Glass filters UV but plastic
(unless specially treated for UV) does not.

--Dick Sullivan