Re: UV light and Contact Frame

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 09/29/01-01:03:15 AM Z

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Sandy King wrote:

> Judy,
>
> From similar data we have reached some very different conclusions. In
> my estimation the two-to-three and one-half stop increase in speed
> offered by the metal halide unit over the bank of BL tubes is a huge
> improvement in performance, even though some persons might consider
> the operational trade-offs (extra wattage, heat) as significant.
> However, since your opinion as stated is based primarily on the speed
> comparison I think we should explore a bit more that aspect of the
> problem.

Sandy, I defer to you instantly in the matter of the *math* involved, but
still suppose the tradeoffs for the halide bulb would be a matter of
personal preference... I don't think an 8 minute exposure is a big deal
(that's what my denser negs took in cyano & VDB is similar) but certainly
an hour-long exposure would be a drag.

As I recall, my bulbs are about 2-3 inches from the paper stage, that
extra inch does I think make a difference. They're also ranked as closely
together as the double-bulb fixtures permit, which also adds speed. The
only other thing I can think of is that sometimes the bulbs get a coating
of dust/grime, whatever-- perhaps mine moreso since they face up, but I'd
suspect that even in your clean-air zone, there's stuff in the air which
does deposit on glass from year to year.

But I'm curious on one point -- which you may have mentioned, if so,
please excuse: how big a print can you make in the cone of even light at
20 inches?

Judy