Re: UV light and Contact Frame

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 09/29/01-09:43:42 AM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>Sandy, I defer to you instantly in the matter of the *math* involved, but
>still suppose the tradeoffs for the halide bulb would be a matter of
>personal preference... I don't think an 8 minute exposure is a big deal
>(that's what my denser negs took in cyano & VDB is similar) but certainly
>an hour-long exposure would be a drag.

4-8 minute exposures are very reasonable. However, as you can see
from my tests with the Stouffer step wedge, either 4 or 8 minutes (4
for carbon and kallitype. 8 for VDB) ) would be absolutely the
shortest times possible with my BL unit for the thinnest of all
possible negatives. (In other words, it takes an exposure of 4 or 8
minutes to reach maximum black on the first step of the step wedge,
which has a density of approximately 0.07.

>As I recall, my bulbs are about 2-3 inches from the paper stage, that
>extra inch does I think make a difference. They're also ranked as closely
>together as the double-bulb fixtures permit, which also adds speed. The
>only other thing I can think of is that sometimes the bulbs get a coating
>of dust/grime, whatever-- perhaps mine moreso since they face up, but I'd
>suspect that even in your clean-air zone, there's stuff in the air which
>does deposit on glass from year to year.

The extra inch may make a difference, or it may not. There was some
discussion a while back on the question of spacing of the bulbs from
the paper stage and someone mentioned that the inverse square law
does not apply to diffuse light sources like BL tubes. In fact I did
some tests early on with my unit, spacing the bulbs at 2", 4" and 6"
and there was virtually no difference in speed.

The issue of a coating of dust/grime on the bulbs never crossed my
mind. Something else to worry about!!

>But I'm curious on one point -- which you may have mentioned, if so,
>please excuse: how big a print can you make in the cone of even light at
>20 inches?

OK, remember that one can use the lamp in one of two ways, either
with the round center filter that evens out the light, or without.

1. lamp used with no filter

a. With the lamp at 20" from the paper there is 1/2 stop of light
fall-off at the corners of a 16X20 print, and 1 1/2 stops fall-off at
the corners of my 23X29 vacuum frame. At 20" you get maximum gain in
speed, about 3 1/2 stops as compared to the BL units.s

b. If the lamp is moved to 30" from the paper stage light fall-off is
reduced to about 1/2 stop at the corners of the 23X29" frame. At 30"
the metal halide unit is about 2 1/2 stops faster than the BL unit.

c. If the lamp is moved to 40" from the paper stage light fall-off is
reduced to less than 1/4 stp at the coners of the 23X29" frame. At
40" the MH unit is 1 1/2 stops faster than the BL unit.

2. lamp used with center filter.

By using a center filter it is possible to even the light over the
entire area of the 23X29" frame, with the lamp at 20" from the paper
stage. With these conditions the MH unit is 2 stops faster than my BL
unit.

As noted, there are some operating disadvantages with the metal
halide unit compared to a BL unit: the MH unit creates a lot of heat,
draws more current, and takes about 2 minutes to reach full output,
and of course if you turn it off it can not be turned back on for
about 5 minutes. I use the MH unit with a light integrator which
minimizes most of these issues and of course gives very consistent
exposures.

Sandy King