Re: Gum without glass

FOTAR2@aol.com
Date: 04/02/02-05:50:24 PM Z

Katherine
    I have a matted print hanging in my bathroom which is not under glass.
Not the ideal environment, and it shows the effects. After it had been in
there for a while, the mat started to bow out of the frame around the
Palladium print so that now it is permanently about 1/8+ inches away from the
print right at the border. Naturally this means that you can see some of the
black border around the print if you are looking at it from an oblique angle.
I guess this means that a thick matboard and the thinner paper of the print
react differentially to humidity. (I may have invented the cardboard humidity
gauge - uncalibrated.)
    I suppose the constant humidity changes make a pretty good accelerated
aging test. On the other hand, this is New Mexico where humidity changes are
not normally a problem. I suspect that on the East Coast or thereabouts, the
humidity changes might well be as drastic as in my bathroom.

Bob Nugent