Re: Pictorico and Epson 2000P pigments

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 04/05/02-08:44:27 AM Z

Nick,

OK, let me state again what I am doing. I am using the Epson 2000P
with Pictorico OHP film and making a nearly neutral tone physical
negatives, but using the color setting of the printer software. I
choose Epson Semi Gloss paper in the print window, and then use the
Cone profiles for this particular paper, the idea being to fool the
paper into allowing me to deposit more ink than on a piece of OHP and
to use the fine setting at the same time. The resulting negatives
are capable of a real deep maximum black, up to about 2.5 as I found
out from further work last evening. I made a negative this past
evening that had a measurable density range of .10 -2.36 and printed
out very nicely with kallitype. I need to tweak the curve to flatten
the highlights but otherwise the negative prints nicely.

As for making prints directly with the 2000P I certainly agree that
metamerism is a real problem. I am told that metamerism is much less
of a problem using a continuous inking system with the Micro-Bright
and MIS pigmented inks, but I am a little nervous about damaging the
printer head.

For what it is work, metamerism is a problme with virtually any
process that uses pigmented inks that are deposited on top of the
paper. People who make color carbons gums often observe a difference
in color of their prints depending on the viewing light.

Sandy King