regular photo paper as POP

From: ryberg (ryberg@mind.net)
Date: 04/07/02-04:46:27 PM Z

     About two years ago there was a discussion of using regular photo paper
as POP. I recently had a chance to test several papers, among them some 30
years old and some 60 years old. I turns out that the older papers really
can be used as POP while modern ones cannot. The 30 year old paper made a
so-so image after fixing; it might work for a contrasty negative. The 60
year old paper made a lovely image after fixing.
     While I was testing I checked out coating the paper with a solution of
silver nitrate. To my surprise, there was NO difference in the final image.
The treated paper printed in a matter of minutes instead of hours, but had
an identical DMAX.
     Those of you who care to view some of my test prints may do so at:
         http://id.mind.net/~ryberg