heat drying Re: Platinum respirator

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/09/02-08:02:43 PM Z

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Eric Neilsen wrote:

> Bob, Where is your evidence for the heat drying with platinum and reduced
> steps? This sounds more like a change in RH and not a heat issue.

Eric,

I haven't made the test in platinum, but I've made it in VDB and
cyanotype, and my students made it repeatedly. (They were required to do
two "variables tests" per semester, and this was one of the easiest !).

Print two 21-steps, let one air dry, heat dry the other. Expose & develop
the same. The heat-dried print loses density and contrast. The degree of
change is related to the other variables, including how hot the drying,
how long, and how soon -- If the heat is mild and just a finishing touch
the change is probably minimal.

However, since a plain electric fan in the vicinity dries the emulsion
just as quickly, there seems no special point -- for those emulsions. In
my limited experience with platinum/palladium I found I had to heat dry
after x amount of time, or the emulsion sank in & made a dull flat print
-- in the combo I was using.

In other words, for most media I've used, drying with heat is a REAL
VARIABLE -- definitely changes results, IME for the worse, except with
pt/pd.

I don't mention gum here because I wouldn't dry with heat in gum at all --
I suppose a mild finishing touch is again no problem, but real heat simply
cooks the emulsion & it will not clear. I also discovered the hard way
that even if the print clears when it's dried with heat, it loses speed by
about 80%. (I was doing a gum workshop with lights I'd never used. Asked
the teacher exposure time. She said 15 minutes. The prints cooked. The
time turned out to be 3 minutes. Later the light bulb lit -- she had
always dried her gums with heat !)

Heat drying gum, BTW, is often *the* problem when platinum printers decide
to try it & run into problems. They'll dry the gum emulsion the way they
dry platinum -- with heat -- unless warned in advance.

Judy