Re: Gum - what am I doing wrong?

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 04/10/02-05:07:02 AM Z

Sandy King wrote:

> I can not know if the staining caused by Pyro is the problem child in
> this instance but in general Katharine is right to raise the question
> about the spectral density of a Pyro negative. In my work with carbon >and kallitype I have found that image stain with well-exposed and >developed negatives does not
appreciably increase printing time.

Sandy was apparently going off somewhere else with this, but I want to
revelation and may not have been entirely clear.

The gum prints David got from this pyro negative sound exactly like the
test gum prints I was getting from spectral density color table
negatives. This may be a complete coincidence, but until shown otherwise
I choose to suspect it has something to do with differences between how
gum and how platinum respond to colored negatives.

I don't know if Sandy was responding to anything in my post or in this
thread by his statement above ("image stain with well-exposed negatives
does not appreciably increase printing time") but in case he was, I
don't think that it's a question of printing time, but of how well the
negative blocks the wavelengths responded to by the sensitizer in
question.
kt