Re: desktop negatives

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 04/10/02-12:16:28 PM Z

Shannon,

You did not say anything about the original negative or how you
scanned it! I suspect the reason for the fuzzy look is in these areas
rather than in the dpi you set for printing. A few days ago I
complained about granular look of a 13X19 negative made on Pictorico
with the 2000P. However, the negative, which was originally scanned
at about 1600 dpi with an Imacon scanner, and then enhanced with the
Unsharp Mask and High Pass filter, is gloriously sharp. In fact, it
prints with greater apparent sharpness than is in an original silver
gelatin print made directly from the 5X7 negative.

As for the Unsharp Mask, it can be used for any negatives, whether
they are to be made on the desktop or by a service bureau.

Sandy King