desktop negatives

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 04/10/02-11:47:07 AM Z

Back to the matter at hand, and away from cafe discussions of
legitimate versus bastardized art! (Although a good debate is always
enjoyable, especially at night over absinthe, a la Kiki, Man Ray,
etc.) Like I said, people using optical devices who can draw without
them get different results from people who can't. That would include
Vermeer, etc. I think if I were a better draftsperson I might be
able to draw and paint from photographs with better results too, but
alas, I am but a journeywoman draftsperson.

I made my first print from a desktop negative today, and while it
turned out better than I expected, it looked a little fuzzy. I
didn't do the Unsharp Mask thing because Dan's book doesn't say to do
that if you are making desktop negatives. I printed it on pictorico
film on the Epson 2000P at school, at 300 dpi. I am wondering if I
should try a higher resolution or do the Unsharp Mask thing? Also,
it seemed to take longer to print than a regular negative. Is this
normal? I was printing it in cyanotype.

--shannon