Re: Heat drying

From: Clay Harmon (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 04/11/02-05:59:36 AM Z

on 4/11/02 12:33 AM, Judy Seigel at jseigel@panix.com wrote:

> 2. If other media can be brought back to their original "nature" after
> heat drying by letting them rehumidify, you have introduced MORE
> variables, and the need for ever more precise timing.

I'm fully in agreement with Judy on the sheer volume of variables involved
with the whole heat drying thing. One other variable: the paper. Some thick
relatively porous papers seem to REQUIRE heat drying to prevent the
sensitizer from sinking TOO deep into the paper (e.g. Fabriano Uno), while
others need the more leisurely ambient temperature + fan method to allow the
sensitizer time to soak into the paper (e.g. Platine in my setting).

This whole business about controlling the humidity of the paper with
humidification chambers and so forth also makes me wonder if the actual
exposure method and time of exposure is yet another variable. I know that
paper dried to my usual ambient RH of 60% or so feels more dry and 'cooked'
after a 500 unit exposure in my Nuarc unit versus a 150 unit exposure simply
because of the heat emitted by the unit. I have found that gum exposures in
my nuarc over about 200 units are in general a bad idea precisely because of
this 'baking' effect.

Lots of moving parts in all these processes....

Clay