Re: Heat drying-reply

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 04/11/02-08:01:04 PM Z

Eric,

It was indeed a hair dryer set on low that I used in my tests. Since I got a loss of contrast and density in each case i.e. cyanotype, VDB and platinum (it was pure platinum), I simply quit using the hair dryer and went to air dry with a small fan. The paper that was used in all tests was Platinotype which I believe is a Cranes cover stock.

Yes, I do have an electronic thermometer and hydrometer in my darkroom and have noticed that temperature and humidity, as well as, type of paper, phases of the moon and almost everything else have some effect on these processes but over the years I have developed my own method or procedure  which gives me the results I want so I don't do much experimenting any more unless someone on this list suggests a wonderful new process.

I have never tried rehumidifying heat dried paper so you may indeed have the explaination for why heat-dried paper results in less contrast. But since my air dried paper ain't broke I'm not about to fix it.

As to preventing the platinum sensitizer from sinking into the paper, I was under the impression that one of the desirable features of a platinum print is that the image is both on and in the paper. Anyway, I prefer it that way.

The more I do these alternative processes, the more it becomes clear that there are a multitude of variables. Each of use finds ways to deal with them and develops a method of working that will give him or her the result they desire. I doubt that we will ever agree on the "right" way to do these things. I was just pointing out something I had observed.

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:
http://www.SchrammStudio.com
also look at: