Re: trees rule municipal codes in Carmel

From: Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Date: 04/13/02-02:04:12 PM Z

What you statret, Trees Rule is a basic theme in my book, "Carmel: A
Timeless Place" that describes a community in which a decision was made to
protect the trees or cut sidewalks for rural mail delivery. Then, the Post
Office would not deliver mail to homes unless there was a system of
sidewalks and street numbers for the homes.

We have neither. It became a public controversey over home mail delivery,
now with jeeps and trucks to deliver mail, but we insist NO. In fact, to
cut or even trim a tree is a major offense.

One majoy painter in Santa Monica has been acclaimed for his paintings of
trees that he calls: Metaphors on People.

While, on the other hand, the major interest seems to fall upon artists who
can show us 'the urban sprawl' and remember - - A Tree Grown in Brooklyn.

Steve Shapiro, Carmel