CYANOS IN BARBADOS

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 04/16/02-05:12:23 AM Z

DEAR LIST,
    I am doing things bass ackwards...as usual. I started in PT/PD printing
and now want to try Cyanotypes!
    Here is the situation. Our water has a pH of 7.33 (measured by our
University chem lab) and has a rather high concentration of Calcium
Carbonate because the source is natural springs filtering through the coral
that makes up our island. I learned long ago that I had to use de-ionized
or distilled water even to mix standard b&w film developers (D-76, HC-110,
RODINAL SP) because the calcium in the water made the developers more active
than usual yielding higher contrast and more grain!
    This brings me to Cyanos which hate alkaline solutions. When I wash
after exposure I intend to use a dilute solution of acetic acid (vinegar) in
the first (part of the) wash. Will this help? Be sufficient? Or must I
keep the entire wash cycle acidic with Acetic?
    Thanks in advance for your help. For once I think this is purely on
topic!
                    CHEERS FROM BARBADOS!
                        BOB