Re: Reduced Platinum Print Sharpness

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 04/20/02-09:43:35 PM Z

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, stephen wasilewski wrote:

> I first printed a negative using a printer's plate
> burner and was very please with sharpness.
>
> Subsequent prinings using a flourescent bank gave very
> reduced sharpness with some detail disappearing.

The question has been gone over so carefully it's not likely this could
have been overlooked -- but on the outside chance, I mention that it used
to be common to cover the base of a flourescent light table with aluminum
foil to supposedly increase the light by "reflection" -- in fact one of
the manuals (either Nadeau or Palladio) suggested that, and Phil Davis in
his article in Photo Techniques said he had done so (while also
"explaining" that gum is by nature "soft focus"). I, too, had lined with
foil at the outset, but one day made a comparison with the NuArc, which I
was using at the time.

Ooops !! (for all media).

I removed the foil, which aside from whatever other qualities, was very
crinkly -- subsequent prints were comparable to the Nu Arc, except gum
prints probably less contrasty.

Judy