(fwd) Re: American Experience: Ansel Adams

From: John (john@darkroompro.net)
Date: 04/22/02-11:20:41 AM Z

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:16:53 -0400, "Diana H. Bloomfield"
<dlhbloom@mindspring.com> wrote:

Hi John,

I didn't see this show, because I can't get PBS on my TV (because I
don't have cable, and so can only get 2 stations). But I think(?) the
Sierra Club was the producer of this show, so I doubt you'll get much
feedback from PBS. Though I think Ansel Adams was an amazing printer
and photographer, I think he and his work, over the years, have been so
over-exposed, that (sadly) I don't think people care much anymore. A
great deal of that over-exposure has come from the Sierra Club. I think
if I see one more Ansel Adams reproduction on a Sierra Club calendar,
I'll scream. Also, he spent a good deal of his life involved with the
Sierra Club, so I doubt he would be too disappointed with the show.
Again, I didn't see it--just my take on it. I did find this site:
http://www.sierraclub.org/ansel_adams/documentarydetails.asp which I
believe is about the show that was aired. As you can see, it is a
Sierra Club production--alll the way--so I'm not surprised by the slant
towards the Sierra Club, instead of on the photographer and his work.

--Diana