Re: American Experience: Ansel Adams

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: 04/23/02-11:00:31 AM Z

Joe Portale told a nice Ansel tale.
Here's mine.
When I was chair of the dept. @ the Institute in the 70's I fixed up a show
of student work @ the Friends of Photography in Carmel. Unfortunately they
are now defunct . . an excellent organization. Ansel aided in the creation
of it in Carmel.
For the opening a few cars went down to take it all in. There were about
twenty of us. The opening was terrific . . you know, things to eat and drink
and lots of complements for the attendees. Lo, Ansel stopped by (had had
started our dept. also and Minor took over after that) and talked with all
the students. Boy he was nice to them. Then, as sort of an afterthought he
invited us all to his home. We all traipsed in and he gave a wonderful tour
of his darkroom, told us his techniques, showed us what a bad print was and
how they'd be torn up and tossed. I believe Richard Ross was his asst. at
the time . . another terrifically nice guy.
He than asked us if we'd enjoy a cocktail. Ahem, I had a couple. Virginia,
came traipsing down the staircase and greeted us. We chatted and blathered
and then he said, time's up and we parted into the evening.

My favorite Ansel story is more about Imogen Cunningham. She always enjoyed
calling him 'the kid.' When in her 80's, I hired her and Lisette Model along
with Ellen Brooks to teach a workshop. About that time Ansel, through the
grace of the 'B' in MJB coffee (the Branstons) had one of his famed Yosemite
images wrapped around a 2 lb. can in a slight sepia tone as I remember.
Imogen, who had been photographing in the Haight-Ashbury area decided that
Ansel ought to "loosen up a bit" and planted a nice marijuana plant in one
of the MJB cans and when it was in its rudimentary youthful vigor, she had
it sent to him.

Jack Fulton