Re: pyrocat part B question

From: Linas Kudzma (lkudzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 04/24/02-06:21:56 PM Z

Joe,
 Are you using potassium carbonate? The solubility of sodium carbonate much
less than potassium carbonate. See the below solubility data:

Potassium carbonate, anhydrous MW 138.21 112g/100ml cold water
Potassium carbonate, dihydrate MW 174.24 146.9g/100ml cold water
Potassium carbonate, trihydrate MW 330.46 129.4g/100ml cold water

Sodium carbonate, anhydrous MW 105.99 7.1g/100ml cold water
Sodium carbonate, decahydrate MW 286.14 21.5g/100ml cold water

The 100 g of anhydrous potassium carbonate in 100ml of water in Sandy's
Pyrocat solution B formula dissolves easily. No doubt Sandy used potassium
carbonate due to it's great solubility.

Incidentally, we should all stop calling this a 100% solution, because this
is incorrect. If we want to express this as a percent weight per weight
solution, then we are saying grams of dissolved compound per 100 grams of
solution. The above is a 50% w/w solution of potassium carbonate in water.

Linas