RE: problem with double coating for cyanotypes

From: Joachim Oppenheimer (joachim@microdsi.net)
Date: 04/29/02-09:23:08 PM Z

I am so delighted to find a fellow admirer of the wiggly plastic reels and
tanks. Another emperor caught in the bare. I, too, have felt that the steel
reels for developing 35/120 film were created by the same fellow who made
those 12th century chastity belts for the ladies. And frankly, with a fair
amount of training in chemistry under my belt I never swallowed the myth
that steel was purer than bakelite and modern plastics, and thus less likely
to contaminate. When I discovered that the Brits made plastic reels that
wiggled I decided that the wrong side won the battle at Lexington.
Unfortunately, 20+ years of use have degraded my stock of these delightful
tanks and I am open to any recommendation for wiggly plastic tanks and
reels, if such are known to you. I mostly do 8x10 in trays, but have you
ever tried photographing grandchildren with an 8x10 camera on a 30# tripod?
BTW glass rods make great cocktail stirrers but lousy paint brushes. Joachim