RE: black walnuts

From: Joachim Oppenheimer (joachim@microdsi.net)
Date: 04/29/02-09:45:14 PM Z

I developed an interest in natural dyes when I lived with the Navajo for a
while some time ago and saw that the modern rugs and blankets were not as
light-fast as the older ones (that sold in the off-reservation shops for
substantially more). Both showed actinic degradation effects, but the older
ones less so. I watched the modern dyes prepared by boiling walnuts and
other organic substances. The older fabrics were dyed with SYNTHETIC dyes
shipped out West to the Navajo (I am speaking of the Civil War era and
reconstruction period) from Wilmington Delaware. The synthetic dyes, while
not as good as their European (German) counterparts of the day, are superior
to the modern organic. But we are living with an organic mind set today. I
will drink my tea, as the Brits do with milk, to cut the tannins. I have not
been impressed with tea-dyed prints; sulfides give far better control and
uniformity. Joachim