RE: black walnuts

Laszlo_Layton@spe.sony.com
Date: 04/30/02-12:52:34 PM Z

>> I have not
been impressed with tea-dyed prints; sulfides give far better control
and
uniformity. Joachim<<

The tea stained prints of Sally Mann and Tom Baril that I've seen in
person are absolutely gorgeous--to me. You're absolutely right
though--their prints are not uniformly the same tone from print to
print. But in my opinion that's one of the qualities that makes them so
beautiful. Even though printed in series, each print has its own unique
look. Sometimes giving up some of the control adds the artistry that I
find to be lacking in so much photography...and why I became interested
in alt processes. Although discussions such as this one on the effects
produced by different kinds of staining materials does give the
photographer/artist at least some general idea of what kind of effects
that the materials can be expected to produce.

Hey, Chris...here's a thought on your testing. Since acidic papers
(non-buffered and such) darken over time I'm wondering if the acids in
your dyes, combined with the sun, are what is making your prints darken
further. Have you tried exposing part of the back side of your prints?
Are the darker areas also more yellowish in tone?

Laszlo