Re: black walnuts

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 04/30/02-03:20:48 PM Z

<biggie snip>
Hey, Chris...here's a thought on your testing. Since acidic papers
> (non-buffered and such) darken over time I'm wondering if the acids in
> your dyes, combined with the sun, are what is making your prints darken
> further. Have you tried exposing part of the back side of your prints?
> Are the darker areas also more yellowish in tone?
> Laszlo

Laszlo,
     The darker areas are more reddish brown, not yellowish, but that may be
a judgment call because they are just plain darker. I did it on the back of
the print, and the darkening did not extend through to the other side of the
double weight fiber paper. Hmmm, tea is very acid--is is possible that
something in tea is photosensitive?? Is the tannin photosensitive? I have
kept the print in the dark now for a day and it has not disappeared. I
mean, technically, the darkness doesn't detract from the tea toning by any
means. The image would still look fine if I had done the exposing on the
front without having half of it covered.
     Hmmm...now my mind is working. I wonder if I put a negative on top of
a plain piece of tea toned paper if it would print an image. I could also
stick this image in fixer and see if the fixer bleaches out the print.
Luckily the print I am experimenting on is a throwaway anyway.
Chris