Re: Sicko humor as art?

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 08/13/02-03:25:17 AM Z

LAShively@aol.com wrote:

> Carl,
>
> Thank you for that observation, but I would have to say it sums up the intent
> of the artist. If he did not include this link then I would have a wholly
> different feeling...response to his work, but altogether I suspect he IS into
> process and that his process includes more that just putting found objects
> together for his photography...
>
> Is that device depicted part of the taxidermy process?

 There are dozens of links on that site, including People for the
Ethical Treatment of Animals. I don't know David Morish, but his links
to the Onion, the Skeptic, the igNobel Awards, and several other
intelligent and witty groups and publications, show that he appreciates
intelligent thought and intelligent humor with a bit of a bite to it. If
you're going to suggest that one link on the site expresses the artist's
intent, then to be logically consistent you have to say that every link
on the site expresses the artist's intent, and good luck with that.

I didn't have time to look at but a couple of the links; I got
captivated by the dancing cats at the Museum of Non Primate Art and
didn't get any further. They are delightful, just pictures that people
have sent in of their cats dancing.

Carl gave the site as a reference about photogravure. Are we expected
now to vet every site we reference, to make sure that there's nothing
anywhere on the site, including links to other sites, that might offend
someone? I didn't laugh out loud at the cat holder, but I don't get the
outrage about it either. It's just a cartoon, really. The humor is
perhaps immature (like most of the humor in movies and on TV) but I
wouldn't call it sick. I would be very surprised to hear that the artist
considered it part of his artistic process or intent, because it doesn't
look to me to be connected in any way to the art on the site.
Katharine Thayer