Re: In Chicago for labor day

From: Eric S. Theise (mataro@cyberwerks.com)
Date: 08/13/02-10:24:28 AM Z

Paul Martinez writes:
> What about San Fran this weekend?
> My wife wants to go to the Ansel Adams Museum and I
> looking for some Alt-Alternative

As someone else posted, the Friends of Photography has closed up.

These are some photo suggestions, in general, not necessarily alt:

There is a big Richard Misrach show opening at the Berkeley Art Museum
this week -- members' preview tonight, I think -- and that'd be worth a
trip. http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/

There is a new gallery devoted to photo documentary called Fifty Crows;
small, and they currently have a strong awards show up.
http://www.fiftycrows.org/ Fifty Crows is walking distance from SF
Camerawork, which has a show up called Safe Haven: Picturing Domestic
Space up. http://www.sfcamerawork.org/

You'll occasionally find alt-ish work at Scott Nichols Gallery
http://www.scottnicholsgallery.com/ and there is a high concentration
of galleries, all types, in 49 and 59 Geary, plus Paule Anglim's gallery
is across the street. SFMOMA always has photographs up, and right now
the big show there is a Yoko Ono retrospective.

Sadly, you are a bit too early to see my work on the walls of Zedd Fine
Art + Design, but the pieces (photogravure from pinhole) should be in
the space by the end of the week, and so could be seen by request.
There's a lot of interesting work in there, a small and ambitious
new space. 493 Sanchez at 18th, between the Castro and Dolores Park.
My work will be up from Aug 22nd thorugh the end of September, with a
reception on Aug 29th.

Probably plenty of other things going on as well, but this is off the
top of my head.

--Eric