Re: [OT] RE: Sicko humor as art?

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 08/13/02-06:39:54 AM Z

Kris Erickson wrote:

> Perhaps in the end, then, the only thing Mr. Morish can be accused of is
> lack of clarity.

I don't think even that. His site is well organized and labeled; the art
gallery is in one place, the links are in another. If the artist, not
intending the links to be connected to the art, had put them in the art
gallery, then we could accuse him of lack of clarity. Methinks the lack
of clarity is to be found somewhere other than the artist's mind or
website.

And perhaps some of the confusion comes from a lack of memory about how
the web used to be, when it was common for people to link their sites to
other sites that amused them or educated them, sites they wanted others
to know about whether or not they related to anything on the linker's
site. To me as a viewer, Morrish's links seem to be about that kind of
"old-fashioned" web networking, chosen because he just likes them; they
reflect his opinions, his personality, his politics, his sense of humor
and other things beside and beyond his art per se.

I agree with and appreciate your other comments, Kris.

If I ever have a website, it will have many parts, since my life is
complex and multifaceted. There will be sections about art and gum
printing, sections about statistics, sections about some of the
different subjects I write about, like domestic violence, errors in
reasoning, and so forth. But my art is not about statistics and my art
is not about domestic violence; it is something separate to itself, and
anyone who tried to relate the different parts of the website to my art
would be barking up the wrong tree. My 2cents.

kt