Re: Sicko humor as art?

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 08/13/02-02:29:34 PM Z

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Cactus Cowboy wrote:

> Gotta go.... lunch awaits at the Roadkill Cafe!

You may jest, but let me recommend "Travels in Georgia," by John McPhee,
published as a profile in the New Yorker in 1973. It's in a year 2000
anthology of New Yorker Profiles, "Life Stories," edited by David Remnick.

I generally find a little McPhee goes a long way (I'm not into travel,
being HERE already), but this was word for word one of the most
compelling, enchanting and memorable essays I've ever read. And yes, the
lady does cook and eat "roadkill," with or without seasoning. Plus snakes,
turtles & other NOT endangered species, which she captures with bare
hands, and much else.

Re David Morrish: I've met him, a serious, diligent, talented and
concerned citizen, who is -- or was -- on this list. I'm sure also he's
ever in Leslie's debt for response to his website (as who wouldn't be).
Tho maybe he should change the name of his press to "Basketfull of
Puppies," -- hmm, not that -- that was taken by the former band Anthrax
after the attacks last year. But he can probably think of something...

cheers,

Judy