Mutations and imitations

From: Galina Manikova (galina@online.no)
Date: 08/19/02-11:52:32 AM Z

There has been a discussion on the list lately which handled not only about
the technique, but on the content of the pictures.

Which is encouraging me to bring up a touchy subject of imitation or
plagiarism.

I am bringing it up because I am having troubles with the matter all the
time. During my teaching sessions, my exhibitions, my lectures I present my
own work for my students, colleagues and the wider public. After a short
while I always find somebody imitating my work without any reference or
recognition.

I am sure I am not the only one with such experience. That is why I want to
bring up this subject and ask you all to reflect on the matter. To help you
with it I want to ask a few guiding questions:

-How do we differ between plagiarism and inspiration ? coincidence and copy
? reply and homage ?

-What would you do if you discover that someone has stolen your idea, your
picture, your subject, your manner ?

-Is there an international institution that is dealing with that matter ?

There is an organisation here in Norway that is protecting artists
copyrights against commercial misuse, but they are not willing to deal with
competition and disagreements between the artists themselves.

I would like to know if there is a place to go elsewhere ?

Anyway, it is difficult to touch the subject, as there are no clear lines of
definition for how to compare two works of art. Is that the subject, the
technique, the style or something else we should take into consideration ?

Or is there some kind of manifest on the matter ?

There has been a funny programme on the radio here today about a case in
England where two companies are quarrelling about the copyrights for a music
line called "silence" (which is a line of complete silence on the record, no
sound at all). Who owns the silence, they asked. Two different people seam
to want the rights (John Cage and one more, I do not remember the name). A
lot of money involved.

I would appreciate your reflections.

Regards,

Galina.